Saturday, September 25, 2010

Learning About New Possibilities for Photo Sharing Tools

I had read Will Richardson's book, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for the Classroom (an earlier version) last year. But going back to the chapters about Flickr after I had begun using it really helped me see how much more it could do.  

After having used Flickr for personal photos and playing with some of the features, I loved reading about some other possibilities with Flickr.  Will Richardson's Chapter, "Fun With Flickr" helped guide me to explore new things that Flickr could do.  Some new things I discovered based on Richardson's book were RSS feeds. I had no idea that I could subscribe to a topic of photos. I was also interested in the Google Maps feature. I am in the process of starting a Google Map with my photos--placing them on the spot where they were taken. I see huge implications with this for kids. One of my colleagues created a Percy Jackson Google Map with his 4th graders.  I can see expanding that great idea to include photos/scenes from the book in some way. I was also fascinated by the Jane Goodall camp photo on page 104 of Richardson's book.  I can see this as a great tool for students especially in the area of science. 

For me, this last week was spent building on my knowledge about what is possible with Flickr.  I felt like I understood the basics of Flickr as a Photosharing tool but this weeks' explorations helped me to see how this could support students in the elementary grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment